Saturday, December 20, 2008

Cranky

It is 10:30 and we just got the kids down. I went to the temple today (while still feeling under the weather) and I think it was one of the least productive temple sessions that I have been to. It nearly wiped me out. When I got home Lindsey went to help set up the ward Christmas party and I watched the kids. 

It is a well known fact that when an animal is wounded, they are the most dangerous. The patience factor is reduced to zero and the "please stop talking you are annoying me" factor goes through the roof. Not a good combo for babysitting. Needless to say I was on the far side of cranky. 

Anne is also sick so we spent some time sitting on the front porch throwing snappers. (The little paper wrapped things that pop when they hit the ground). That was the highlight of the day. Even though we both felt like **** (I will let you put what ever you want there but I was going to use the four letter word - dogs; as in, sick as dogs.) After that we spent way too much time trying to get kids asleep. 

In reflecting on the day I just wanted to say, Being a parent is difficult. Being a patient, loving parent is nearly impossible, and being a perfect parent is impossible. But we learn. 

So what did I learn today. 
1. When you are cranky, don't drive. You will drive aggressively and get into trouble with your wife. 
2. When you are cranky, don't babysit. This could lead to something as bad as eating your young.
3. When the day is over. Look at your kids sleeping, and realize that they are precious, and look at your wife sleeping and think: "Man, I am a lucky guy."

Have a good night.

3 comments:

  1. Yes! I can comment now.

    I agree, and the worst is when you HAVE to do those things, because the other parent is either not around OR even more sick than you are (read as- my husband can be a big baby when he is sick.)

    Patience is a virtue... and man is it a hard one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as we learn and progress, I say we're doing great even though at the time it doesn't seem so great. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah!! I didn't know you blogged. Well, now that I know keep up the writing. Hope to see you guys soon.

    ReplyDelete

All I ask is that we keep it clean. :)